The Educational Technology team is committed to the emotional, social, and intellectual development of our students through the lens of technology and innovation.
Stone Ridge's vision for technology and innovation is rooted in the principle of using technology to enhance best practices in teaching and learning. We provide a device and platform agnostic environment where our girls can learn to navigate all types of operating systems and hardware in order to ensure their ability to work with and on any type of tool. These skills will transfer to their experiences in post-secondary education and the workplace.
With a technologist in each division, our team is able to seamlessly use technology to foster our students’ creativity, communication skills, research skills, and critical thinking. Our close work with teachers, students, and administrators allows us to collaboratively grow and evolve the School’s technology program. Each of us brings in a unique set of skills from everything between robotics to multimedia creation, which continues to bring Stone Ridge to the forefront of technology and innovation.
Please browse these pages and feel free to contact us if you have any questions!
Director of Educational Technology & Innovation
- Facts & Figures
- Lower School - Tools we Use
- Middle and Upper School - Tools we use
- Student Opportunities
- Meet the Team
- Keeping Girls Safe - Digital Citizenship
Technology Facts and Figures
- All Upper School students are issued a Apple MacBook Pro for the 1-to-1 Laptop program.
- All Middle School students are issued a Lenovo ThinkPad as part of the 1-to-1 ThinkPad program.
- Students in Grade 4 are in the 1-to-1 Chromebook program.
- Students in Grades 2, 3 are in the 1-to-1 iPad program.
- Students in Grades Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten have a classroom set of iPads.
- The Middle School Library offers Kindles.
- 46 teaching spaces/classrooms have Promethean Interactive White Boards or Epson BrightLinks that offer touch capability, allowing users the opportunity to manipulate content with a pen or their finger.
- Professional Development is provided on a regular basis for all our teachers through our unique "Tech Session" program.
- IXL - adaptive learning program
- Dreambox - adaptive math program
- quizlet - flashcards
- geoboard - math manipulative
- spelling city - literacy skills
- tinkercad - 3D design
- scatch - coding
- educreations - interactive whiteboard
- seesaw - digital portfolio
- ABCya! word clouds - word clouds
- pixton - comic and storyboard creator
- symbaloo - bookmarking
- code - coding
- braninpop - animated educational movies
- newslea - news stories for kids
- symbaloo learning paths - interactive learning paths
- Common Sense Media - digital citizenship
- Google classroom - learning platform
- Epic! - digital library
- Google earth - geographic exploration tool
- typing agent - keyboarding
- Budget Direct
- Wordle - word cloud generator
- IXL - adaptive learning program for math, science, language arts
- Khan Academy - adaptive learning program for math, science, language arts
- Google Safe Search - appropriate internet searching
- Digital Public Library of America - safe image search
- Typing.com - touch typing program
- Pixabay.com - image search
- Photosforclass.com - Image search
- Code.org - coding practice
- Google drive - organize and cloud storage
- VoiceThread - presentations with audio
- Canva - posters and presentations
- Thinglink - videos and images
- Garage band - audio and music creation
- iMovie - video production
- Adobe Creative Suite - photos, Illustration, Layout, etc.
- Prezi - presentation program
- Padlet - brainstorming and sharing website
- Dipity - timeline generator
- Audacity - audio creation and editing
- Wordpress - blogging software
- Hstry.co - interactive timelines
STEM. Robotics. Internships.
Stone Ridge provides a variety of opportunities for girls to truly become dynamic technological leaders and innovators through rich internships, a robust STEM Certificate Program, and a robotics program with teams in both the Middle and Upper Schools.
|American Mathematical Society||9-12||Math|
|Cogito Summer Program Database||Various||Various|
|United States Naval Academy||Various||STEM|
|Robotics and Engineering Camps||Various||STEM|
|GMU Summer Game Institute||Various||Art and Technology|
|USA Government Jobs for Students||9-12||Various|
|ASM Materials Education Camps||9-12||STEM|
|FBI Future Agents in Training||9-12||n/a|
|Junior Science and Humanities Symposia (JSHS) Program||9-12||STEM|
|Johns Hopkins Engineering||9-12||STEM|
|National Space Club||11-12||STEM|
|NIH Summer Internship Program||11-12||STEM|
|Youth Engagement through Science (YES!) Internship Program||6-12||Science|
|National Institutes of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases of the National Institutes of Health Research||9-12||Science|
|Google Science Fair (competition)||8-12||Science|
|Siemens Competition (competition)||9-12||STEM|
|Science Intel Science Search (competition)||9-12||Science|
|Science and Engineering Apprenticeship Program - Navy|
Stone Ridge students love exploring! Some students uncover a passion for scientific discovery and seek to engage in scientific research and internship opportunities beyond the classroom. The Stone Ridge STEM Certificate recognizes those students that have demonstrated further interest in the STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering and math) by having completed a variety of activities including an internship outside of Stone Ridge. With guidance and support from the program coordinator and science faculty, students find internship opportunities in the DC metro area, an area rich in technology and scientific endeavor. Back on campus, the students work with and lead student groups in local science and technology related competitions such as Science Bowl, Physics Olympics, Destination Imagination and Robotics. In addition, upperclassmen work with younger students as peer tutors. Students produce a portfolio of related experiences building science and technology knowledge and skills.
The purpose of the STEM Certificate Program is to support learning based on current best practices, especially with girls. The program aims to provide Stone Ridge students a healthy and balanced way to demonstrate their mastery of skills expected at the next level and allow girls to have more opportunities for the types of educational experiences that are believed most effective with girls--such as working with role models. Girls interested in science and technology need the opportunity to experience all types of innovation inside and outside the classroom and especially benefit from the experience of time in the laboratory or design space. For more information please contact Kathleen Flood. Program Requirements.
"Educators of girls know that this combination of competence and confidence allow girls to embrace a future in any field they choose." (Deak, J. (2010). How Girls Thrive. Green Blanket Press).
Middle School Robtics Team
Stone Ridge girls have been learning through and with robotics since 2013. Our Lower School students use LEGO WeDo kits as well as other robotic programs in their classes. Our Middle School girls have participated in the FIRST LEGO League (FLL) and won awards for their presentations and robot performances. Our Upper School girls have participated in the FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) as well as the underwater robotics competition called Seaperch. We currently offer after school programs, and in class robotic integration to students in every division.
For more information, please contact Ms Urvi Shah at firstname.lastname@example.org.