1920s – 1940s
In 1923, the Religious of the Sacred Heart opened a successful new school at 1719 Massachusetts Avenue in Washington, DC. For over a generation, the school fulfilled its educational mission, but quickly outgrew its quarters in the city. The Society of the Sacred Heart purchased 35 acres of “Stone Ridge”, the George Hamilton estate in Bethesda, Maryland. On September 25, 1947, the original school moved to Stone Ridge and opened its doors with 150 students, 25 instructors, and seven lay assistants.
1950s – 1970s
As the school grew, a new wing was added to the main Hamilton House to accommodate classrooms, study halls, a playroom, and dining rooms. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, further additions for the Lower and Upper Schools and the Religious Community were built. Tennis courts replaced blacktop, a gymnasium opened in 1963 and an addition in 1974 provided expanded athletic facilities.
With increased enrollment over the years, a new academic building opened in 1996 with classrooms for the Upper School, as well as science, computer and foreign language labs, administrative offices, a media center, library, an assembly room, and lecture hall. A new 7,000 square foot gymnasium opened to complement the two existing gyms. Athletic facilities expanded to include more office space, a weight room, and a climbing wall.
In 2001, additional amenities were built to update the Athletics facilities to include outdoor tennis courts, playing fields, and an outdoor swimming pool. In 2005, significant renovations took place on campus: the Sacred Heart Child Care Center opened; a new light-filled Visual Arts Center atelier enhanced the drawing and painting curriculum; and the swimming pool was enclosed with a retractable roof, creating a state-of-the-art aquatic center complete with locker rooms, a classroom, observation decks, and spectator seating. In 2015, a new turf field was finished for our athletes.
Today and Beyond
Sacred Heart traditions and educational excellence continue to prevail. Today, there are 700 students at Stone Ridge and 92 in the Class of 2016. There are over 3,686 alumnae who still embrace the Sacred Heart core values.