GLOBAL EDUCATION: Our Mission
Guided by the global vision of St. Madeleine Sophie Barat who founded the Society of the Sacred Heart in France in the 1800s, students at Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart cultivate an international mindset and a sense of global responsibility through academics, co-curricular activities, and engagement with community partners near and far.
Embracing our foundress’ call for relational and transformational education, our goal of global education at Stone Ridge is to form students who are aware of their responsibilities in an interconnected world and who have developed the knowledge, skills, and disposition appropriate for interaction for a lifetime. We join with our Network of more than 150 national and international schools in 41 countries across the globe to make known the love of God and the heart of Jesus through educational engagement.
Stone Ridge global citizens can:
- Understand and reflect on their own identity and faith
- Actively dialogue across differences with a respect for the inherent dignity of all
- Bring together science and empathy to understand their impact on others and the earth
- Responsibly inform themselves and take action on local and global issues
- Engage with and learn from others living in different geographic locations, exploring and respecting cultural and linguistic practices
ELEMENTS OF OUR PROGRAM
- In the classrooms across the academic curriculum, building global competencies and increasing historical knowledge and social awareness
- Purposeful training in linguistic and cultural proficiency- Seal of Biliteracy
- Language and culture based national and international travel
- Sacred Heart International Exchange Program
- Campus Ministry and multicultural liturgical celebrations
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion programming and student groups
- Social Action and participation in Network Service and Dialogues
- Student co-curriculars: International Diplomacy Coalition (MOAS, MUN, MAL), Girl Up, Amnesty International, Women for Women, International Club, and more
- Partnerships for Global Learning (Sacred Heart Network, Global Education Benchmark Group, WorldStrides)
The Seal of Biliteracy is an award given by participating school systems that recognizes a student’s high level of proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing in one or more languages other than English.
The Seal of Biliteracy encourages students to pursue biliteracy, honors the skills our students attain, and can be evidence of skills that are attractive to future employers and college admissions offices.
In 2019, Stone Ridge was the first all girls school in Maryland to offer the opportunity to earn the Seal of Bilteracy award to our Upper School students.
Examples of the interdisciplinary nature of global education
Teaching and learning for global competencies occurs across all grade levels, disciplines, courses and programs. Our curricular and co-curricular experiences allow students to develop the knowledge, skills and empathic orientation required of global citizenship. Here we see the art of note taking across disciplines.